This post may contain affiliate links, which helps us to continue providing relevant content and we receive a small commission at no cost to you. Please read the full disclosure here.
A savory and delicious combination of white sweet potatoes and green beans. This simple vegetarian recipe will have your family eating healthy more often!
Today’s simple recipes is vegetarian and vegan friendly. Plus it is healthy and created completely by accident.
We were running low on food and going to the grocery store wasn’t on my radar. So, I found these three ingredients in the kitchen and developed this quick dinner.
Many times, these quick and simple recipes become great favorites in our family. This recipe is packed with nutrients. Plus the dish is ready in under 30 minutes.
- White Sweet Potatoes – look for the white sweet potatoes, not the traditional red yams.
- Green Beans – fresh or frozen work great.
- Coconut Milk – For the best flavor, use canned full-fat coconut milk.
- Olive Oil – You could use coconut oil as well.
- Curry – For the curry haters, this recipe uses the smallest amount that no one in my house even knew.
- Salt & Pepper
Dinner Cost: $6-8
Why White Sweet Potatoes
First of all, there are many different types of sweet potatoes (over 35 different types). The most common is the orange sweet potato or yam.
However, the white sweet potato provides a slightly sweeter and mild taste that makes the recipe savory. White sweet potatoes are used heavily in Japanese culture and associated with longevity. In addition, the sugar content in a white sweet potato is lower than its traditional counterpart.
For this recipe, you want to use white sweet potateos.
How to Make White Sweet Potatoes with Green Beans:
This is a very hands-off recipe to make.
First, you need to chop the white sweet potatoes into bite-size pieces. This is the most time consuming and active participation step.
Next, heat the olive oil in the saute pan and add the diced white sweet potatoes. Cook for 15 minutes and stir often so the pieces don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
Then, slowly stir in the full-fat coconut milk. Blend the curry, salt, and pepper into the dish. Top with the green beans on top. Cook for another 10 minutes or until the white sweet potatoes are soft.
Serve warm and enjoy!
Variations On Serving Food:
- This simple vegan recipe takes great just as prepared.
- Serve warm over a green salad.
- Serve as a side dish to compliment another entree.
Leftovers and Freezing:
Personally, I love serving leftovers on top of a green salad. I heat the leftovers first because it makes a warm salad on a cold winter day.
You can double this recipe and freeze the other half. Make sure to eat within six months of freezing.
- 4 White Sweet Potatoes (2-2.5 pounds)
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 1 pound Green Beans
- 1 teaspoon Curry
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Dice the white sweet potatoes into small bite-sized pieces.
- Heat olive oil in pan.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the pan. Stir fry for 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, curry, and green beans. Cook for another 10 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Serve warm.
By cooking with the lid on the pan, you speed up your cooking time. Just make sure to stir, so the bite-sized sweet potatoes don't stick to the bottom of the pan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 252Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 145mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 5gSugar: 6gProtein: 4g